Who can visit people in care facilities?
No visitors are permitted at care facilities, unless an exception applies. Exceptions apply in limited circumstances.
You may only visit a care facility for the following excepted reasons:
- if the resident is under 18 years of age – you are a parent, guardian or temporary carer of that resident
- as a nominated person under the Mental Health Act 2014
- for providing essential care and support that is necessary for the resident’s immediate physical or emotional wellbeing
- for providing interpreter or informal language support to enable the care team to provide care
- for learning to support a resident’s care upon discharge
- for providing end-of-life support to a resident of the facility (subject to visitor limits).
Despite these exceptions, you will not be allowed to visit a care facility if you:
- are awaiting a COVID-19 test result (unless you are being tested in accordance with the Surveillance Testing Industry List and Requirements)
- are unwell with any symptoms of COVID-19 or have a temperature of 37.5 degrees Celsius or higher, or any symptoms of a fever such as night sweats or chills
- have arrived in Australia within the last 14 days, unless you have come from a green travel zone via a ‘quarantine-free flight’
- have had known contact in the past 14 days with a person who was a confirmed case of COVID-19, or are self-isolating and have not yet been given clearance to exit
- have visited a Tier 1 exposure site and have been advised to immediately isolate, get a COVID-19 test, and remain isolated for 14 days.
- are self-isolating and have not yet been given clearance to exit
- are under 16 years, except if your presence is for the purpose of providing end of life support for a resident and:
- you are a child, grandchild, sibling, or have a kinship relation to the resident; or
- you are a child or dependant of a permitted visitor and the visitor cannot access alternative care arrangements; or
- you have permission from the hospital and the Chief Health Officer.
For more information, please visit www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/visiting-care-facilities